Why Some Addicts cannot Live Normal Lives


There are many addicts who have actually become addicted to the addiction. They have become so addicted to the addictive lifestyle that they can no longer even survive, much less lead a “normal” life.

Often the addict becomes so accustomed to the drive associated with addiction, that when this part of their life is removed, the addict no longer perceives to have a reason to live, function or even get out of bed in the morning. Without the drive of making the vast amounts of money usually associated with a drug addiction, the addict often cannot find a reason to do much of anything.

This phenomenon is similar to that of someone who has worked all their life, only to go into retirement and die soon afterward for lack of purpose.

Just as with those who retired after many years of employment, the longer the person has been addicted the, the less probable the addict is able to adjust to the new, “normal” lifestyle. 

To compound the problem, the addict is also used to a certain excitement and danger associated with drugs. The constant threat of being arrested, robbed, ripped off or even killed while buying or using drugs becomes exhilarating. This in itself becomes an adrenaline high and addiction. It make a normal job appear boring, unappealing and pointless.

To make things worse still, when the addict thinks back about how quickly he formerly made the considerable amount of money needed to sustain his former habit, he is usually frustrated, angry and discouraged at what he is now supposed to be paid for honest, legal and honorable work of his new “normal” lifestyle.

The best way to compensate for this change in lifestyle and lack of purpose, is to find something to occupy one’s time. Just as it is best for the retiree to find an activity or hobby, it is best for the reformed addict to find a pastime or some other form of diversion. Naturally, it is best for the retiree as well as the recovering addict to find something enjoyable and fulfilling to do, so as to not be abandoned shortly.

Though it would most likely be beneficial for the recovering addict to find gainful employment, this is often only successful in the long term if the reformed addict likes what he or she is doing. More often than not, if it is a menial, unfulfilling job, the addict will soon become disenchanted and start looking for alternate ways to earn a living, pass the time and have some fun.

These factors considered, it is usually necessary for the addict to stet some sort of realistic long-term and obtainable short-term goals and pursuit employment, pastimes and friendships associated with the addict’s interests.

Even if this requires schooling, relocating and all new friends, it may be the only way to achieve lasting success.

The addict should take whatever steps required reaching his or her long-term goals, even if they are small and if it may take some time to reach them, as long as some short-term goals can be reached as milestones.

The key to success and lifelong sobriety is determination. The addict must be determined to do whatever it takes to stay clean. With this determination everything else is possible.

The above is pretty much an account of how I was able to overcome a 30 year addiction to drugs, including a 20 year heroin addiction. My biggest deterrents from getting clean sooner were as I described them above. But what saved me was alone my determination to get clean.

Determination is the key to anything and everything.

Written By: Tom Retterbush

Comments

  1. Most of the addicts I know who've had the best success stories have used their addictive pasts as a tool for good. They do counseling, volunteer work, suicide hotlines, etc. I have self worth by doing something worthy with my rotten memories. Like a cancer patient who's looking for guidance from cancer survivors, using addicts who want to get clean respond better with other addicts who've been clean awhile. Substance abuse feels good in a desperately necessary way. Helping other basketcases crawl out of their self-hating and self-dug holes can be a new addiction to hook into; and a very satisfying one. Tons of money become less important when you help a mirror image of yourself get clean, and being a hero is surprisingly uplifting...especially if you've never experienced it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Rebecca. As you can see, I myself am doing the same thing running and writing for this site. This is also why I am so anti-AA, because they teach humility, and anonymity, where the addict will never get any recognition for his or her efforts. We need a pat on the back once in a while too.

      Delete
  2. Makes sense and in depth. I've known someone who isn't addicted to drugs or anything but with depression and that's also the excuse not to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya I guess a lot of times the addiction is the reason of not doing a lot of things such as to get a real job, to have a normal life, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some addicts cannot live a normal life because they are not totally freed from drugs. They should be rehabilitated well and family's support is very important so that they will be able to bounce back and live a normal life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle with the concept of rehabilitation, I have worked for over 20 years in the field of substance misuse following a using career that was very destructive. Am I rehabilitated? I would answer NO! the fact is I was never habilitated in the first place.

      At 12 or 13, it wasn't my ambition to be an addictI was like any other prepubescent except I had no way of understanding that I was ill equiped in terms of economic status and proactive role modelling that I would not acquire skills to live hand in glove with societies requirements of me.

      I believe the focus of sustainable recovery is, firstly understanding what recovery means to you.. not your drug worker, therapist, significant other, and then identifying the barriers to achieving it.From there it is up to you.

      Delete
  5. I find a lot to agree with here. I'm anti AA as it simply transfers dependency to AA. Also, I abhor the concept of once an addict always an addict, it's nonsense.
    As regards the guy who raises rehabilitation I agree there too. Rehabilitation means basically 'to return to a former state' As the guy says many users have no former state unless you intend to return a middle aged man to adolescence. Recovery is what you make it, it is what you define it to be. There are no boxes which must be ticked in order to qualify as 'In recovery' I believe it is a subjective state, primarily one no longer is a slave to problematic drug use. If that involves substitute prescribing so be it, as long as it works for the individual. Also, what the heck is a normal life anyway ? Is it prescribed, carved in stone somewhere "The Golden rules of Normality" ? I doubt it. I think the only rule regarding sustainable recovery is, 'That your concept of recovery no longer incurs harm in any way to others and gives relief from the millstone of illicit drug use and the cycle of acquisitive crime which often accompanies it. As long as these criteria are fulfilled in my book the rest is purely your own choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learnt this week from an old timer that the ritual of identification as an alcoholic is not from the big book...and that the only requirement for membership is a 'desire' to stop drinking. People heal via a (sponsorship) relationship a symbiotic and healing for both parties. IE get the focus of yourself and help someone else who is symbolically you, another alcoholic.

      Delete
  6. Addiction can totally ruin a person’s life. But with right support and guidance, it’s possible to come out of it.

    Farmhouse Sink

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think people can come out of all types of addictions if they have enough motivation and will power!

    Trade Software

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend used to be a hardcore addict but it was his self-belief that he came back to normalcy in no time. But I still agree that getting back to the normal state can be a difficult task.

    Print Programs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Addicts can lead a normal life only if they have a strong will power and self-control.

    best anti aging products

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice informative site,thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kind of sad to me, I left NA and AA years ago. I did not stay clean, I drank almost constantly for several years. Then I returned to AA and found it terribly unfulfilling. I felt lonely. I wanted to do "normal things" - not simply go to 12 step meetings. I was also younger than everyone else, and I found it depressing to sit in circles and listen to people in their 30's, 40's and 50's talk about their challenges.

    They had lost everything, while I had never HAD anything to begin with.

    I found my way with therapy (treating the underlying mental health issues) and by making friends with people who didn't really know about addiction. Without NA and AA, I no longer had an obsession with addiction. I didn't think about alcohol and drugs. I thought about events. I thought about friends. I thought about what I was cooking for dinner (cooking is now a hobby)

    The transition was rough. But I am not an addict. I am no longer homeless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, everything has its pros and cons, but one cannot neglect the need to detoxify the body. Using THC Detox can be helpful in eliminating the affects of drugs and get over with the withdrawal symptoms as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi I can see that you possess a degree of expertise on this subject, I would like to hear much more from you on this subject matter – I have bookmarked this page and will return soon to hear additional about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Really great effort. Everyone should read this article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice post, Critical things are explained in details. I appreciate it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is wonderful. I am not quite much with the internet, but I believe that what I just read is some good material. Thanks for writing such wonderful article. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting. Your instructions look clear but I'm not very good at this so I hope this will work well for me. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great article. Thanks for your great information, the content is quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete
  24. very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great article. Thanks for your great information, the content is quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice post, things explained in details. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is an extremely smart written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great to see that someone still understand how to create an awesome blog.
    The blog is genuinely impressive in all aspects.
    Good, I love this blog.
    raja poker

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just Awesome Post, Call Experts at Gmail Technical Support NZ +64-98890480 to get instant assistance if facing any issue with your gmail account.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

This is a "dofollow" blog, in that all nofollow attributes have been removed. This means you will receive a backlink from the URL you submitted with your name and address. However, any URL you post with you comment text will not be "clickable" and will not produce a backlink.

Popular Posts